Thursday, May 12, 2005

Great blog - moving to utah?

http://www.nataliercollins.com/weblog/2005/03/should-non-mormon-move-to-utah.html

here's my comment.

I'm considering moving ANYWHERE other than CA. I love the new DayBreak Community going in, in South Jordan UT(the planned community thing makes me feel more at home like the nicer neighborhoods here in Orange County). But, I have this nagging...twisting...burning...sort of odd feeling that I'm going to be happeier somewhere where I'm not subject to the general "tone" that you've described here. I can easily see how everyone starts off friendly (possible convert) and then logically...why WOULD they bother with you when they know you've decided to have the big BBQ, crack open a few New Castles, and watch NASCAR on Fox on Sunday? I can easily overcome this "pressure" and I think I'd actually find it fun for a while at least. I'm sure my kids would be safer, etc. I'm just not sure that I'd like to be going through these issues when my kids are a bit older. Mormons are not bad people...but it's really not that common to have this kind of hegemonsim..and I don't think I'm ready to waste the time on dealing with it...when I can sacrifice some climate for the religious "diversity" that I seek, ie not being crammed at all junctures. If it was going to be crammed however, I'd prefer to be in the majority (honest).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home